If you’ve been thinking about trying to get your pre-mom body back, there are some think you need to know before your mommy makeover process gets too far. As with many plastic surgery procedures, the more you know, the better prepared you will become—and with a Mommy Makeover, there’s plenty to prepare for.
Preparing for Your Mommy Makeover
In some ways, that means preparing for the surgery. Any serious plastic surgery will require a challenging recovery period. But patients also need to be prepared for the results of their transformation. In many ways, a Mommy Makeover is one of the most transformative plastic surgery procedures on the market today. A Mommy Makeover is able to address many different major complaints that patients bring to their surgeons.
Which means that your body will be significantly different after your Mommy Makeover. That’s one of the things you need to know before your Mommy Makeover—but not the only thing.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
If you’re interested in a Mommy Makeover, it’s perhaps most helpful to know what the procedure actually is and why it exists. Generally, a Mommy Makeover is a collection of procedures designed to address those issues that commonly develop throughout the course of motherhood and pregnancy.
Primary Mommy Makeover Procedures
The primary three procedures involved in a Mommy Makeover include the following:
- Breast Lift: As the breasts age, they lose buoyancy and begin to sag. That process is exacerbated by pregnancy and by nursing. Indeed, nursing can especially put stress on the breasts—in a wide variety of ways. This can often make the breasts sag prematurely (and more severely than they otherwise would).
- Tummy Tuck: One of the other areas of the body that tends to be stressed by pregnancy is the belly. Patients tend to develop a significant amount of excess skin around the tummy—and once that excess skin is there, patients don’t have many options for getting rid of it. A tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that can smooth the tummy, eliminating that excess skin so you can look more youthful.
- Liposuction: Because motherhood tends to be one of the sacrificial, time consuming activities, your body can start storing fat at a prodigious rate. This is by no means exclusive to motherhood, but changes in biology brought on by pregnancy can exacerbate the problem. Liposuction is a surgical way to contour your body and get rid of areas of fat that you don’t exactly like.
None of these procedures are exclusive to mothers—nor, indeed, is a Mommy Makeover. Rather, these procedures are simply means to address complaints that happen to be common among mothers. Hence, the eminently marketable name: Mommy Makeover.
What Will Surprise You About Mommy Makeover?
To a certain extent, what you need to know before your Mommy Makeover will include the obvious—what will happen during the surgery and how long your recovery might require. But there are some surprising elements about Mommy Makeover that might be worth spending some time on.
Learn About Mommy Makeover
There are significant ways in which a Mommy Makeover might be surprising to a patient:
- Multiple Procedures at Once: Generally, all Mommy Makeover procedures are performed at once. That means you get the benefits from a breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction in a way that is as efficient as possible. But it also means that you should be prepared for the recovery. Yet, this is usually the optimal configuration of the procedure for patients. In other words, most people would rather go through one recovery period instead of three.
- Interchangeable Procedures: One of the other things that patients need to know before they start looking into a Mommy Makeover is that there are plenty of decisions to be made. That’s because while liposuction, tummy tuck, and breast lift procedures are the mainstays of Mommy Makeovers, they are not the only options. Some patients will be better off going with a breast augmentation instead of a lift. Other patients will want a facelift instead of liposuction. Still others may want more than the three basic procedures. It will essentially come down to you and your body—and the best way to proceed.
- It’s About Youth: Obviously, you don’t have to be a mom in order to benefit from (or want) a Mommy Makeover. This procedure is really about recapturing lost youth. For many women, that youth is lost over the course of motherhood—or, at least, the stresses of motherhood can exacerbate aging processes that are already happening. These procedures are designed to restore some of the youth that time (and motherhood) steals, resetting the clock so you can enjoy that youthful look when you’ve actually gotten some free time.
Not Just for Moms
Of course, Mommy Makeovers are not just for moms. Anyone who wants to address widespread signs of aging can talk to a plastic surgeon about how to look more youthful in a holistic way. That said, there’s a reason this moniker sticks around. There’s a common belief—and it’s one that’s difficult not to share—that moms especially have earned the right to turn back the clock. After all, it’s not uncommon to think of mothers as having made substantial sacrifices for the betterment of their families.
But mothers aren’t the only ones deserving of plastic surgery. What’s more important—and, perhaps, the most important thing you need to know—is whether you want plastic surgery. Patients that don’t want plastic surgery are usually advised to try to get results in other ways. But patients who do want surgery are usually incredibly thrilled with the way results turn out.
So if you’re thinking about a Mommy Makeover, the best place to start is with a conversation. Find a surgeon that specializes in Mommy Makeovers and discuss what you hope to accomplish. While we can provide tips and tricks, the best source of information for what you should know before your Mommy Makeover is your plastic surgeon.