Now that you’ve decided to undergo a breast enhancement procedure, it’s important that you know how to find the perfect breast surgeon. To be sure, everyone’s particular requirements are going to be different. That is, you might have a different definition of “perfect” than your neighbor because you’re getting a lift and she’s getting an augmentation.
Knowing How to Find the Perfect Breast Surgeon
But there are still some common steps you can take to ensure that you’re getting your own personal perfect breast surgeon. These steps range from simple to, uh, slightly complicated. But they end up being worth it because finding the right surgeon means getting the right results.
We can’t emphasize enough how important that is. This article isn’t meant to be taken as medical advice, but it is designed to help you start the process of finding a surgeon. That said, it will be up to you to make the final evaluation. The process of finding the perfect breast surgeon starts and ends with you.
Step #1: Do Your Research
The first step in finding the perfect breast surgeon is doing research. Sometimes this research will occur in person, but usually the very first step is internet research. Most people are looking for some mixture of the following:
- A surgeon that is located nearby
- Plastic surgery results that are impeccable
- Board certification in the type of procedure performed
- Experience, excellent, and expertise
- Services performed for a reasonable price
In some ways, the list is contradictory. The more expertise a surgeon has, the more you’re going to pay. But the more research you do, the more likely you are to settle on a surgeon who meets your requirements. Some of those requirements might be, you know, geographical. If you live in Clear Lake, TX, you’re going to want to search for a Clear Lake plastic surgeon. If you live in Austin, TX, you’ll want to search for a surgeon there.
It’s also worth noting that you need to do more than a little GoogleFu. You also need to check on the credentials and experience of the surgeon. There are a few good places to do that:
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons: You can go here to ensure that a surgeon is board certified. That’s a handy tool to have when you’re doing your research!
- Social Media: I’m not necessarily talking about Facebook or Twitter, although those are valuable. But more so I mean specialty social media sites such as RealSelf.com. RealSelf has done an amazing job giving surgeons a platform to talk to patients. It would be a shame to ignore it!
Step #2: The Consultation
This is the second—and final—step in finding your perfect breast surgeon: the consultation. Essentially, a consultation is a process by which you meet with your surgeon. In some rare cases, consultations can be done over the phone, but they’re almost always better in person (that’s why that version is much, much more common).
During a consultation, a breast surgeon will:
- Discuss your desired final results
- Articulate the best way to achieve those results; obviously, a breast augmentation is going to require a much different process than a breast reduction
- Make recommendations if other procedures might be necessary to get your final desired results
- Get a feel for your overall motivations
- Talk about the procedure in detail
It’s important during any consultation process to be upfront with what you want. But it’s also a good time to get a feel for your surgeon. This means asking a lot of questions and ensuring you know precisely what’s going to happen during your procedure.
Before and After Photos
Most surgeons will make a set of before and after photos available for your viewing during a consultation. Many surgeons, in fact, put these photos up on their websites (while doing everything possible to protect their patients’ identities). These before and after photos are a great way to determine the kind of work a plastic surgeon will do.
And it makes sense that if you’re looking at getting a breast augmentation, you’d want to see breast augmentation before and after photos. Likewise, if you want a breast lift, looking at breast lift before and after photos from the surgeon in question could give you a good sense of what typical results look like.
Take the Time to Find the Right Surgeon
You should have a good feeling about your surgeon. And you should feel as though you’ve made the right choice. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to find that surgeon, so it’s not a process you should rush through.
Often, that type of determination can only be made after you’ve met with a surgeon in person. So don’t be afraid to use the consultation as a kind of interview. You want to make sure you’re hiring the same person, as it were! That’s what finding the perfect breast surgeon for your procedure might take—but it will usually be worth it in the end.